Christy Volunteered to design the bulletin board outside the Fitness Center. There are many volunteer opportunities at the MDI YMCA. Read on...
Current Volunteer Opportunities
The Wellness Department
Fitness Volunteer: The Mount Desert Island Y is a community-service organization in Bar Harbor. We are looking for an individual who will display outstanding customer service and will supervise the strength & cardiovascular areas of the Healthy Living department by providing safe and appropriate fitness information and instruction to members.
- Provide a high degree of member service through a professional relationship with the members in regards to their needs, concerns, and questions about the YMCA, its programs and mission
- Assist members in effectively utilizing equipment
- Wipe down machines, benches and yoga mats daily
- Monitor circuit training room, utility rack, stretching area, and yoga closet hourly
- Have a thorough knowledge of branch emergency procedures and take appropriate action for Healthy Living department emergency situations
- Adhere to the YMCA Standards and Guidelines, and Y-USA Medical Advisory Recommendations
- Ability to relate to and work with people of diverse backgrounds and interests
- Must be 18 years or older
- High School diploma or equivalency
- Excellent customer service skills
- Must be willing to work flexible hours, including evenings, weekends and holidays
We offer an exciting and innovative environment with an organizational culture committed to serving all members of our community. If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please send your cover letter and resume with subject line “Fitness Volunteer” to MDI YMCA, 21 Park Street, Bar Harbor, ME 04609
The Member Services Department
The Member Services Department is looking for volunteers to work alongside our Front Desk Staff. Volunteer duties include answering the phone and greeting/checking in members. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The History of YMCA Volunteerism
When George Williams founded the YMCA in 1844, he did so as a volunteer. In the movement’s early history, everyone delivering programs and services at Ys were volunteers. In fact, the first staff members were called “secretaries” because they were hired to do the paperwork.
Today, volunteers help root YMCAs to their original identity; associations to which one belongs, rather than places from which to buy services. That associational quality is one of the characteristics that make Ys special, setting us apart from organizations that offer similar programs. MDI YMCA volunteers bring enthusiasm and passion to our association. Our volunteers personify the idea that we are an association of people working together to solve problems, meet needs, and enrich lives.
We have many volunteer opportunities at the MDI YMCA ranging from working with teens and seniors, manning the front desk, coaching various youth programs and helping to organize special events. Contact our Executive Director at email@example.com or 288-3511 for more information on how we can best match your interests to current volunteer opportunities at the MDI YMCA.